So we all know that honey is healthier for us than sugar but do we know why?
There are many reasons but don’t be fooled that honey has more calories than sugar
1 teaspoon of sugar is 16
1 teaspoon of honey is 22.
But being healthy isn’t just about calories it’s about how food is processed in our bodies and how healthy it is. Here are some reasons to pick honey.
Nature’s Energy Booster
The benefits of honey go beyond its flavour. Honey is a great natural source of carbohydrates which provide strength and energy to our body, known for instantly boosting the performance, endurance and reduce muscle fatigue of athletes(because of how easily its digested). Its natural sugars play an important role in preventing fatigue during exercise. The glucose found in honey is quickly absorbed and gives an immediate energy boost, while the fructose is absorbed slower which provides longer lasting energy. Because of the different sugar types it helps keep blood sugar levels fairly even compared to other sugars.
Heres how to reap the benefits for an energy boost:
1. Before a workout, take a spoon of honey to enable you to go for the extra mile ( you can have it in your tea or smoothie)
2. If you are feeling tired around the 3pm slump, instead of reaching for a pop or another cup of coffee try spreading some honey on 1 piece of toast or have a tea with honey.
3. If your kids have a real sweet tooth but your worried about the harmful effects of sugar try giving them candies made with honey instead of processed sugar(these can be found at most health food and grocery stores)
Immunity System Builder
Amongst the many health benefits of honey, what is most impressive to me is that honey can be a powerful immune system booster. It’s antioxidant and anti-bacterial properties can help improve digestive system.
Last but not least honey is the only food that doesn’t go bad, it has so many healthy anti bacterial properties that it will last forever in your cupboard.If you find that it has gotten hard or crystalized place in the microwave for 5-10 seconds(the bigger the container and more crystallization the longer the time)
- Why is Honey so much better for me? (fitnessandhealthylivingtips.com)
- The Sweetest Thing: Four Beauty Uses For Honey (bellasugar.com)